Friday, June 25, 2010

summer has arrived

It sure took long enough, but it appears that summer may be here to stay.  I do wish for higher temps, but this is the pacific coast, so I can't expect miracles.

The hub and I took our child-free trip to Ottawa and Montreal last week.  My good god, was it lovely to sleep in, dine after 6pm, talk in full sentences, walk without a stroller, not have to answer to "Mama" 450 million times a day, stay up past 10pm and genuinely get re-acquainted with myself and my hub.  Those trips remind me how important it is to get away and have some one on one time with your partner.  It was nice to have time to give each other the attention that we often neglect to do when we are juggling in our very own circus at home.   All this aside, by day four I was clambering to get home to see my babies and see if the grandparents were still alive.  We talked to them everyday, but I wondered just how much of the truth we were getting from them.


We returned to a clean home (god bless my dear mother) and 2 happy kids (and by all accounts - happy grandparents).   We've had a good week getting back into the swing of things.  We hit the water park yesterday and had a picnic.  What could be a more fitting welcoming for summer?








My garden is in full swing as are the flowers in our yard.  I just keep thinking that we're finally getting our yard (front and back) in good shape and we'll move next year.  Booo.  Who knows.  I certainly don't know what's going to happen.  I'm definitely enjoying all the little moments with my gals.  It feels to good to be out there exploring the world with them.

As for my grown up activities, well, I've started running again.  All my clothes are tight and my weight is at an all time high. Sigh.  This sucks, but sitting around eating more Nutella isn't going to help. I'm aiming for 3 days a week right now.  I'm also on a huge reading kick.  I'm flying through books every week.  Some of my latest and greatest:

Beauty Tips From Moose Jaw
Born with a Tooth
Between Interruptions 
To Hell With All That: Loving and Loathing our Inner Housewife

Currently reading:
The God Delusion
Radical Homemakers
Parenting Beyond Belief

It's been a rather eclectic bunch lately.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  I find the book on parenting from an Atheist perspective rather interesting as we are discussing sending the girls to Jewish school.  Ahh, imagine the discussions we'll be having in our house! Interesting times ahead.

I'm off to the garden before the little one wakes up from her nap.

No comments: