Friday, January 28, 2011

playing catch up

We're back from Bowen.  The Bowen dream is done.  I cried.  I wanted it so bad.  I fell hard for the lifestyle and was ready to take the leap.  I loved how stripped back things were on the island.  I liked having less options, choices and more land.  I wanted the girls to grow up in the that unique environment where everybody knows each other.  I wanted the 2.5 acres, the dog, the garden, the community - the whole thing. I was ready to give up a lot.  However, Drew wasn't sold on the commute.  He said it would take him away from us more and that it would be career limiting.  I knew this, but was hoping he would fall as hard as I did.  It's hard to argue with those points.  He wasn't a happy camper when we were there and was markedly happier upon return home. We both want the very best for our family and we have to be on the same page to make it work.  Ah, marriage.

I can't ignore that something was sparked a while ago about the idea of having more space and living outside of the city.  This whole Bowen Island experience was brought on by a question I asked Drew last summer.  As we were lying in bed one night in the dark, just before we dozed off, I asked him "if he ever wanted to live in the country?"  Something grew from that and we followed it through to making an offer on the dream place on Bowen.  It wasn't meant to be...right now.  That doesn't mean I will give up in securing my "nature spot."  I want a place to escape the city and see the stars.  I won't give up until I've got it.

Our house is going up for sale next week.  There is so much to do.  I started by packing a few boxes for storage and getting my hair coloured.  A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, right?

I took a knitting class this week and landed up being the laugh of the class and talking about wet dreams with a bunch of random women. Sadly, it wasn't the discussion of puberty's pitfalls that was a real hoot, but rather my mad knitting skills. Sigh.  I booked another lesson.

I've become so intrigued with Desolation Sound since I've been reading this book. I want to go.  It's on my list of places I want to visit in Canada.  Right up there with the Queen Charlotte Islands, the Maritimes and the Yukon. 


image  

image
My eyes are heavy.  My brain is cooked.  I'll go read about Desolation Sound and dream a little dream.

No comments: